Keilen Law is hiring a full-time paralegal / legal assistant for its Kalamazoo, Michigan office. This is an in office position. The primary focus of the position will be personal injury litigation but will also involve aspects of estate planning, probating estates and other civil litigation matters.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Conducting telephone intakes with potential clients;
- Scheduling phone consultations, meetings and court hearings for attorneys;
- Assisting attorneys managing their tasks and deadlines;
- Opening, maintaining and organizing physical and electronic client and case files;
- Presuit investigation including ordering medical records and bills, obtaining police and incident reports and making FOIA requets;
- Drafting pleadings, subpoenas, discovery requests and responses, motions, estate plans, probate forms and other legal documents for attorney review;
- Filing legal documents with courts and serving legal documents on interested parties;
- Trial preparation;
- Communication with courts and clients; and
- Assisting with overall client and case management.
Skills and qualifications desired
- Kind and caring;
- Desire to help clients;
- Prior legal experience in civil litigation is required;
- Prior personal injury litigation experience is highly preferred;
- Prior experience drafting estate planning documents and probate forms is preferred;
- Prior experience preparing, filing, serving legal documents, and scheduling hearings;
- Attention to detail and proofreading skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Well organized;
- Ability to handle multiple files at one time;
- Ability with to work with multiple attorneys; and
- Ability to work well with others, clients, and coworkers.
In Kalamazoo, MI office.
Monday – Friday (8:30 am to 5:00 pm)
Possibility of very minimal travel within Kalamazoo and neighboring counties.